Lesson 2 - White noise generator

Image
I decided to try following synthnerd's blog to create a white noise generator. It worked! In the process, I learned several things. NPN bipolar junction transistors (BJT) As a brief recap, here's an illustration of an NPN transistor (the position of collector and emitter may be swapped in some models, always check the datasheet *and* with the tester in the multimeter): The collector-to-emitter path conducts only if there is some positive current at the base (very few mA are sufficient); further, the voltages must satisfy $V_C>V_B>V_E$. Once the transistor conducts, one  gets an amplified current $I_C \gg I_B$ and then $I_E = I_C+I_B \approx I_C$. At this point, I thought one would put the load at the emitter; however, in all the examples I have seen so far, people ground the emitter and connect the load to the collector. This seems to be called the common emitter configuration , where "common" here means "ground". Reverse bias leads to electrical brea

The first of possibly just two or three posts

 Let's be serious: blogs don't last.


I'm creating this out of frustration with learning electronics. The more I study, the more I gather doubts and forget what I thought I had learned. Therefore, I'm trying to teach myself instead of studying.


I'll use this blog in its literal meaning, namely as a log of what I try, learn and discover. This way I hope I won't forget, plus it'll be a fun read if the journey lasts more than a couple of weeks.


My main goals:

  1. To be confident around electronics;
  2. To create my own synth and show off with friends;
  3. To have a new hobby where sky is the limit!

Let's start then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson 1 - The first lesson

Lesson 2 - White noise generator